Community

How it works

Interested in getting rewards for free?
    $5 for every new user with code: EARNWEB5
    Register in browser or download mobile app to redeem your bonus:
    Register Download
    Earnweb QR

On Plagiarism and citation

After reading a certain article2 in voting I began to realize that many people here may not really understand exactly what plagiarism is or how to make their own articles not plagiarism while still using a main source or multiple sources for their articles, and what started as a review somehow became an article in an of itself.     

Look, I'm not going to say that this article2 should be published but applaud that you at least said that you did not write it.   For an Article not to be plagiarism you need to properly cite the source and add something new to the topic. According to an Article on avoiding plagiarism on scribbr,   "Whether you paraphrase or quote, always build on your sources by adding your own ideas, interpretations and arguments."1 which of course implies that it is NOT ok to as you said "Copy Pasted from site called james clear, its great for a person to type his own article but once inspired by others article as long as its a general not a private one its ok to share it"2 without both adding your own ideas and or arguments to the article and doing a proper citation. Those ideas could be anything from how the article made you feel, to how much you learned from the article, to how much you wish you never set eyes on such a trashy thing, to arguing against the entire point of the article you've read. That part is unimportant. What does matter is that something gets added to give people a feeling of YOU in the article not the people you are quoting.     In addition, if it is just sharing the article that you are after this is not the place to do it as sharing it here is one of the thing that makes sharing it plagiarism. According to Wikipedia plagiarism   "A .Uses words, ideas, or work products    B. Attributable to another identifiable person or source    C. Without attributing the work to the source from which it was obtained    D. In a situation in which there is a legitimate expectation of original authorship    E. In order to obtain some benefit, credit, or gain which need not be monetary [49]" 3

Gamehag, I suspect it is needless to say does give a benefit = gems *cough* which ticks off box E and that Gamehag also expect citation when using outside sources as they have us vote on if an article is plagiarism or not which ticks off box D. Therefore as a conclusion it is expected that all sources that ideas sprung from if they are used in an article must be citied properly where one can identify the source and look up the original source if one so chooses to do so.

I firmly believe that many of the articles on this site could improve and be better if everyone cited sources and added their own voices to the articles that  came before them, but you gotta do it the right, ethical and legal way. How else are scholarly articles written? They have to take from sources too, from things that have already been written. Learned this at some class while I was at collage, the professor just could not be quiet about it.

I, for one use MLA citation exclusively, mostly because there are many electronic citation machines available over the internet for FREE. All you have to do to get to one is type MLA citation machine into the search bar and at least a couple will be in the first five results. Using the citation machine is just as easy, especially for websites, copy and paste website URL into citation machine under website citation and hit enter then let the computer do all the work. For this article MyBib Contributors' 4 MLA citation Machine and as is normal in MLA all sources are cited below at the end of the article.

1.“How to Avoid Plagiarism.” Scribbr, 5 Dec. 2019, www.scribbr.com/plagiarism/how-to-avoid-plagiarism/#:~:text=To%20avoid%20plagiarism%2C%20you%20need%20to%20correctly%20incorporate. Accessed 6 Aug. 2021.   2. LightSeeker. “Gamehag - Conjure up Rewards by Playing Games!” Gamehag.com, gamehag.com/news/voting. Accessed 6 Aug. 2021. “The Ultimate Productivity Hack is Saying No” by Lightseeker

3. “Plagiarism.” Wikipedia, 3 Aug. 2021, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism#Etymology. Accessed 6 Aug. 2021.

4. MyBib Contributors. “MLA Citation Generator – Easy & Free – (8th Edition, 2019).” MyBib, 26 May 2019, www.mybib.com/tools/mla-citation-generator.

6 august 2021 17:19 1625

I mean everyone can easily check if it's plagiarism why do they keep posting someone else work when they know it will be rejected. It just makes the work of the one rating the articles harder.

30 september 2021 14:15 1625

To comment you have to be logged in!