How it works

World of Warships

(4.28/5) 751 rates

Play and get

2400 2760
    Soul Gems

For 3 tasks

I
    Register via the "PLAY FOR FREE" button, confirm your account in the email, and then Get the ship of 2 tier and fight a battle using it

Jakajan's Huang He mini review

Huang He: stubmSx.png Do you like British cruisers? Flanking, or being a team player providing close support for your destroyers in a cruiser? Are you adept in destroyers and capable of utilizing stealth and cat and mouse tactics? If so Huang He may be for you. kBDVmhn.png Huang He is a short, agile cruiser. She is able to out maneuver many destroyers. This vessel has the best stealth out of any tier 6 cruiser. Huang He features some of the most interesting consumables in the game; a Perth like smoke generator which allows her to emit smoke and cruiser in it for a good 90 seconds, choice of either hydro-acoustic search, or torpedo reload booster for a nearly instant 8 second reload on her torpedoes. Indeed Huang He can be a very potent threat if not taken seriously. Many people criticize the ship for only having six 152mm guns, however the artillery is easy to handle and are among the highest performing six inch cannons. They are Russian guns, the same found on the tier 6 Budyonni, as such they exceed at striking the citadel of targets and setting fires. While Huang He may only have six guns, what makes her shine is utilizing them while in a moving smoke cloud. These cannons will make short work of any destroyer or broadside cruiser. However they will be unable to do much more than harass a battleship. They also have very poor range at 13.2km, but because of this I have found myself often in range to land citadels on cruisers Because of the lesser number of guns Huang He should avoid a straight up gunfight with any ship her own tier, unless it is at close quarters, in which case her quick turning circle and rapid fire torpedoes may allow her to win the fight, at likely a great cost. This is not exactly a con a much as a standard issue that smoking cruisers face. A Fiji, for example is at a disadvantage against a Myoko in a straight up gun fight, assuming there is no smoke and no one else interferes, and both ships angle wisely. Huang He has 2x3 torpedo launchers, 3 per side loaded with very impressive 8km range, 60 knot speed 14,400 damage torpedoes, these torpedoes hit less hard individually than Perth's torpedoes, however have 100 meters less detection range. Unfortunately they only have one firing option, which is a tight spread. I really wish this ship also had a wide option as well. My tactical recommendations for any Huang He captain would be to plan to fight in bursts. With each smoke use have a attack and retreat plan in mind. After the smoke is used try to lay low, scout, and take pot shots from behind islands, while requisitioning for your next in smoke attack. Lack of spotter plane and hydro acoustic search may leave you blind if you do not have a ship available to spot for you when you are in your smoke, keep this in mind when planning your attack runs. 26lLjQW.png Huang He has a great anti air suite of 2x4 closely packed Russian 100mm secondaries as well as 2x8 37mm anti air guns and 1x8 20mm guns. Unfortunately she does not receive defensive fire as a option, if she did she would rival a Cleveland in AA damage. However she is still above average. For those of you who are into history, the Huang He was the HMS Aurora, a very famous British cruiser, as there is already a ship in game called the Aurora it sadly, nixes the chance for us to get that famous ship, so I do not mind this fantasy British style cruiser in my fleet. In brief Huang He's Pros and Cons Pros Cons Mobile Smoke Fragile Stealth One, tight torpedo spread option Agility Only 6 cannons, 13.2km firing range Russian 152mm guns Poor recon tools Great AA and secondaries Requires 14 point captain, IFHE for best performance Is she a good boat to own? If you like British light cruisers and want to have something that is incredibly stealthy and agile for that role? Also she is the only ship that you can presently purchase with Perth smoke, if you have not experienced this smoke it is very fun. Unfortunately you need a 14 point captain with IFHE and concealment expert to really make this ship shine. Compared to Perth, In general I will say Huang He scores citadels on targets way. way easier, her gun handling is really good too and honestly looking at my actual gun hits I will say she does a comparable damage with her six guns as Perth can do with her eight. It is useful that four of Huang He's cannons are upfront. Unfortunately, Huang He lacks the recon tools that Perth has, but Huang He is stealthier, shorter, and more agile, allowing her to weave through fire and torpedoes with great ease. Overall both are fun ships and it is hard to pick a favorite, but Perth is more versatile, Huang He turns so tightly, making her a joy to drive. On the plus side, she is available on the North American premium shop for just $26.49, a reasonable price for a fun little cruiser.

15 december 2017 23:07 89

It's nice to see someone likes her, poor thing...

Honestly, I've seen them captained fairly well in a few battles, and fairly poorly in another.

I've already got a Perth, so I think I'm good on the moving cloud of HE thing.

18 december 2017 23:45 89

Yes, somebody else who likes this ship and knows how to use it effectively!

Honestly, if you like the Perth, you will like this ship. I use it as a cross between a spotting destroyer (with 8.1 detection range you spot anything but destroyers first) then, if/when the firing starts, up smoke and let loose the dogs of war!

I feel guilty that I actually like this ship as it is gimmicky fun to play. I always go with the torpedo reload boost as it is more gimmicky (helpful hint, it is used best just to shoot twice from the same torp side instead of trying to get all your torps off)

18 december 2017 23:45 89

Also, a shout out to LWM for her (as always) excellent ship review of the Huang He.

I read her review first (as always) before I picked up the Huang He and knew what I was getting into. I love the Perth, so I figured I could make this work ( I also had a spare smoke generator mod that helps immensely for the Perth and Huang He)

My opinion is that the overall rating should have been a Mehboat (for it's gimmicky fun).

18 december 2017 23:50 89

Unfortunately, the Huang He doesn't have the spotting aircraft at least that would leverage the smoke. There had been too many times in the past your team would do one of 2 things:

1. Run away

2. Hide in your smoke or worse, try to throw you out of it (yes, those are idiots).

when you smoke up. No hydro either when fish comes calling. Huang He is a poor imitation of the Perth. And I base that on the 920 matches with the Perth.

18 december 2017 23:51 89

For all its shortcomings and a "Garbage" rating, it is STILL a top rated T6 CL (warships today). Rivaling the Graf Spee and beating out the Perth. Maybe only good players play it but I'm starting to think it may be better than people thought due to Russian guns, smoke and 1950's AA. May also be that people underestimate it and don't have the kill-it-on-sight mentality as they do with ships like the Atlanta, YET.

18 december 2017 23:54 89

Of course they want to hide in your smoke. You just "vanished" and left them as the priority target for the red team. Most won't yet know how small that smoke cloud is going to be. Pushing you out I will try to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that is just poor driving on their part although there are some real jerks that play this game.

18 december 2017 23:54 89

Even worse, keep on firing and hitting you with the shells w/o a care in the world.

18 december 2017 23:57 89

WG needs a BIG gunsite symbol that shows there is a friendly in the way of your shots. There is a small white symbol when blocked by an island and you can usually see the island in the gunsite. Most often you can't see the an obstructing friendly at all. Just that after-the-fact admonition not to shoot at your allies. Many are clueless or just assume their shots will go over the friendly (since you can clearly see over him)...well next time they will 'cuz he should have moved out of my way by then, right?.

18 december 2017 23:58 89

To comment you have to be logged in!