• Sign in Sign up

Collect SG

Collect the rewards

Community

How it works

Mafia II: Definitive Edition

At the time huge anticipation preceded the release of Mafia II, which is ten years old this year. The developers were in a difficult position after all the first episode became a legendary game, so it was difficult to meet the expectations of the fans and also the expectations of the modern age. It didn't help either, that the development time was too long, and the developers had to cut out many ideas like some game elements and side stories. The end result was a rushed, unfinished, but undeniably cozy product that received mixed ratings from both fans and the critics as well.

So slowly, ten years after its release, however, it seems that all the sins of Mafia II have been forgiven by fans. This is due, of course, to the nostalgia that made enjoyable even the most unpleasant memories, as well as the release of the Mafia III, which is rated as the worst piece in the series by the fans. Despite the great atmosphere and the nice memories  Mafia II wasn’t a flawless game, and when 2K announced the Definitive Edition, we had a little hope they correct out the adventures of Vito Scaletta.

qUzttIBPh9I2bzUNNyJXBvUPM0yslW.jpg

The focus is on the looks

• The biggest strength of the game is still the atmosphere, it looked great ten years ago too, it still looks great today, so the improvement on the graphics is not that huge, but surely noticeable. The textures were visibly sharper, the lighting and shadows were also improved. In several places, the effects have been reworked to make them look more real:for example the snow-covered streets definitely look better. Of course, the resolution has also been raised, so we can say goodbye to the blurry image we saw in the previous generation. Although the face animations falls behind of today’s standards, but if put next to the original the characters definitely look better.
    • Unfortunately, the beauties of the otherwise fairly correct graphic tuning are ruined by the awful console optimization. I’ve come across very few games on PS4 that would have run so badly: the game generally holds 30 fps (although it would have been worth trying 60 fps…), but while driving around town, I had incredible fps drops. At first, I couldn’t specifically keep the car straight, the game was so jerky in some parts of the city. Add to that the fact, that there are a lot more bugs than I remembered. I’ve come across nonsense like Assassin’s Creed: Unity’s horror-like graphic flaws, and sometimes the icons that appear in the top right corner of the main menu can also “get stuck in the picture” and disappear only by restarting the game.

U9MY49Trh9kYkxw7wmrCxlXUuJLdLp.jpg

Everything else is the same

• It should be added, however, that even without the above flaws, I would not be really satisfied with the Definitive Edition of Mafia II. While the story of the game is interesting, unfortunately it still feels strongly that complete acts, characters and side stories have been cut out of it. The motivations of the characters sometimes change from one moment to the next, thus creating huge inconsistencies in the plot. And the protagonist and his friend are so antipathetic to today's eyes that the player is specifically cheering against them. If they had already decided to completely remake the first game, they could have really convened the old Mafia II development team to rework the re-release version to what the game was originally intended to be.

• And a few words about the gameplay ... well ... 10 years have passed since its release and it was felt in the gameplay. The boring car rides were okay in the previous generation, but today... it makes the game "bleed to death". The shooting is absolutely for PC, with a controller any firefight is a misery, it would have been appropriate to work on this a bit in the remastered version. The mission structure was already criticized by many at the time, but today it is unacceptable that in the middle of the game, a mission consists of driving from A to B and then from there to C. The prison chapter consists of four fighting mini-games and five cut scenes. Even though i liked this mission it's not suitable for such a game, so to this day I don't understand who and how he could have allowed it in the game. 

4Ea3HHviVkXgMB7RYIdSF5oFdOcfn2.jpg

Worth It?

Don’t get me wrong, I like Mafia II, it was a defining experience for me, and I really liked how the Definitive Edition "renewed" it visually, but it's flaws can't be left without a word. You may want to get it on a PC because it's free if you already have the original version; however, it is worth avoiding the Definitive Edition on console. One great benefit of Mafia II Definitive Edition, that it includes all three arcade-style story DLCs (The Betrayal of JimmyJimmy’s Vendetta, and Joe’s Adventures) that are forgettable, but add a few extra hours of fun to the game, expand the story a bit and patch up some plot holes. In principle, the remastered version of Mafia II and Mafia III wasn’t dealt with by Hangar 13, a smaller team worked on them, but a bad omen about the Mafia remake that these Definitive Editions are full of bugs.
    HMFXQu5xu2rJz3Dx3kuUwVia5JqmTD.jpg

3 june 2020 15:55 1625

hello i am new

20 october 2020 12:13 1625

NICE LOVE THIS GAME TO

20 october 2020 14:32 1625

I LIKE WHAT YOU DOING

20 october 2020 14:32 1625

I love it sana all

21 october 2020 11:43 1625

absolutly gorgeouse game

21 october 2020 13:02 1625

Pretty cool game, the mechanics are kinda weird but overall is enjoyable!

21 october 2020 13:47 1625

Worth playing!

21 october 2020 13:48 1625

best game ever made

21 october 2020 18:06 1625

Definitely one of the bwst games, the first Mafia was a breakthrougj to me regarding that genre.

21 october 2020 18:44 1625

yes loln

21 october 2020 22:09 1625

Mafia its best game ever

22 october 2020 08:55 1625

yes its cool

22 october 2020 09:59 1625

name drop plssss

22 october 2020 09:59 1625

yeah that right

22 october 2020 10:00 1625

give me a code

best ever game

I like this game

22 october 2020 10:10 1625

dsgdsfdsfsdfdsg

22 october 2020 10:40 1625

pretty good

22 october 2020 10:49 1625

THIS GAME IS THE BEST BEACAUSE IPLAY HERE LAST YEAR THIS IS SO GOOD!!

22 october 2020 11:02 1625

I LOVE THIS GAME

22 october 2020 11:04 1625

MGA BABOT KUPAL AND BABOT BABOT BABOT BABOT BABOT TOOOO!!

22 october 2020 11:05 1625

I LIKE THIS GAME

22 october 2020 11:07 1625

I LIKE THIS KIND OF GAME IS COOL

22 october 2020 11:08 1625

To comment you have to be logged in!